Monday, May 28, 2007

wedge...



May, week two:
I was in NYC for my nephew's fourth birthday party. On my way back, I drove through the city a little bit to try and get a few pics. The Flatiron building was one of several stops I made. While it is an often-photographed building, that doesn't mean I shouldn't have my version of it.

This is one of the first photographs I've processed using Photoshop Extended CS3. I downloaded a 30 day trial, and so far I like it. I had heard a lot from people about the black and white conversion process, and I haven't yet had the chance to play around with it sufficiently. For this, I used one of the pre-sets (high contrast red filter). After adjusting brightness and contrast, I applied a little bit more sharpening than usual and went with an asymmetric border. I put the website address in the bottom-left instead of the bottom right because I didn't want to obscure the view down fifth avenue. It's a cliche photograph, but I like it.

Image details:
Date and location: 5/20/7 at 17:02 EDT, Manhattan
Equipment: Canon 30D, 17-85mm IS lens, Hoya SMC UV filter
Settings: 20mm, handheld with IS, ISO 100, f/10.0, 1/200 sec, shot in raw
Processing: cataloged in Aperture v1.5.3 -> export as .jpg to PSE-CS3 -> black and white (high contrast red preset) -> brightness +10/contrast +10 -> resize -> crop -> USM (200%, 0.5, 0) -> border + text -> save as .jpg
Photo-a-week goals addressed: #1 (b+w), #3 (vertical orientation), #11 (architecture), #16 (street photography)

No comments: