Wednesday, May 30, 2007

falling...



May, week four:
There are multiple great waterfalls in the nearby Shenandoah National Park, which are great for both hiking and photography. I got my dSLR last year in the mid-summer, so by the time I got to visit some of these falls the water had started to wane. Today the falls were healthy, creating a great photographic subject. While the overall setting including the surrounding trees was beautiful, I liked this picture a lot because it focused on the shapes created by the water as it fell. I've lived near trees all of my life, but the falls are new.

For the conversion, I tried the "infrared" preset in PSE-CS3. I liked the detail it brought out in the rocks and trees while still keeping the water as the focus. I need to learn more about these new b+w conversion parameters to see why the "infrared" present gives this appearance.

After a slow start to the month, due largely to a hard drive crash and not helped by working nights for a little while, i've made four contributions to this blog. Hopefully my June contributions will not be as irregular.

Image details:
Date and location: 5/28/7 at 14:11 EDT, Doyles river falls (upper falls), Shenandoah NP, Virginia
Equipment: Canon 30D, 17-85mm IS lens, Hoya SMC UV filter
Settings: 85mm, tripod, ISO 100, f/32.0, 1.0 sec, shot in raw
Processing: cataloged in Aperture v1.5.3 -> export as .jpg to PSE-CS3 -> black and white (infrared preset) -> resize -> USM (100%, 0.5, 0) -> border + text -> save as .jpg
Photo-a-week goals addressed: #1 (b+w), #3 (vertical orientation), #6 (extended exposure)

No comments: