Tuesday, April 24, 2007

tossed around...



April, week three:
I was wandering around earlier tonight with my camera and ran across a group of people juggling. i asked if i could take their picture, and they humored me... and, performed for me! they were really good, and seemed like fun people. i may try and join them sometime and work on improving my juggling skills. in this shot, three guys are passing nine juggling pins around, with the guy in the middle passing them behind him! the girl in the picture was watching in this shot, but was pretty good at juggling also.

the processing was fairly straightforward for this... i'm not that good at taking photos of people (i think the only other shot with a person in it for this project is my nephew, who was an easy subject since he couldn't crawl away fast enough to escape my camera). i feel somewhat comfortable taking action shots, because i did a lot of sports photography in high school, but this reminds me i need to work on my portrait skills. i just need to find someone to take a picture of.

Image details:
Date and location: 4/24/7 at 19:38 EDT, UVA campus, Charlottesville, VA
Equipment: Canon 30D, 17-85mm IS lens, Hoya SMC UV filter
Settings: 17mm, handheld with IS, ISO 400, f/5.6, 1/60 sec, shot in raw
Processing: cataloged in Aperture v1.5.3 -> export as .jpg to PS7 -> monochrome mixer (20, 40, 40, 0) -> contrast (+15) -> crop -> resize -> USM (150%, 0.5, 0) -> border + text -> save as .jpg
Photo-a-week goals addressed: #1 (b+w), #9 (action), #16 (street photography)

2 comments:

bvlindalou said...

It's nice that you can ask people to take their picture. That is something that I need to work on.
great job

Unknown said...

An interesting past time... don't see much of that around here. The picture has good tones and action.
I'm glad you kept the girl in the shot.