Monday, April 30, 2007

angler...



April, week four:
A little change of pace from previous entries. FIrst, I didn't take the picture (my fly fishing instructor did). Second, it's with my point-and-shoot (I didn't want my 30D going for a swim). And third, I hate the composition... but, I love the subject, a feisty little rainbow trout that I caught just as I was getting ready to finish up for the day. Shortly after this picture, I went home smiling and the fishie swam back to the part of the stream I found him in. I was doing an Orvis fly fishing school, coordinated by the Albemarle Angler here in Charlottesville, and it was one of the most fun days I've had in a while. Even though I got some better pictures that day out on that farm when I was wandering around with my dSLR, I thought I'd use this picture since fly fishing is all I've been able to think about for the last week or so :-)

For the processing... simple black and white conversion, resize, sharpen, and that's about it. I know it's a stretch to list this as addressing the portrait and wildlife goals, but otherwise all it accomplished was vertical orientation. Anyways, hopefully I'll get some better nature photos on some fly fishing outings in the near future.

Image details:
Date and location: 4/28/7 at 17:14 EDT, Rose River Farm, Madison, VA
Equipment: Canon SD630, handheld (by fly fishing instructor)
Settings: 5.8mm, f/2.8, 1/100 sec
Processing: cataloged in Aperture v1.5.3 -> monochrome mixer (30, 30, 40, 0) -> resize -> USM (125%, 0.5, 0) -> border + text
Photo-a-week goals addressed: #1 (b+w), #2 (portraits), #3 (vertical orientation), #17 (wildlife)

1 comment:

Unknown said...

A great moment and expression. You look very happy here. This must be the 'other' hobby! ;)