Tuesday, March 27, 2007

tracks...



March, week three:
I was wandering around and came across this old railroad bridge. I hadn't realized it was so easy to walk to... i just had to park on the side of the railroad tracks and wander over here. I had tried a couple wide angle shots from a very low perspective (on the tracks), but the autofocus captured the railroad ties and not the far distance like I had wanted. It was an oversight on my part, and will require a reshoot because otherwise it would have been a cool picture. When I go back I'm also interested in getting some shots on the bridge. Maybe I'll be able to time it so that a train is coming.

The conversion wasn't anything special, however I did clone a spot of sensor dust using photoshop. While this is minimal post-processing, I normally do not do any adjustments that are not applied to the entire image.

Image details:
Date and location: 3/11/7 at 12:49 EST, Charlottesville, VA
Equipment: Canon 30D, 17-85mm IS lens, Hoya SMC UV filter
Settings: 17mm, handheld with IS, ISO 100, f/10.0, 1/200 sec, shot in raw
Processing: raw conversion in Aperture v1.5.2, export as jpg to ps -> clone spot of sensor dust -> USM (150, 0.5, 0) -> monochrome mixer (100, 0, 0, 0) -> contrast +20 -> resize -> USM (100, 0.5, 0) 0> border + text -> save as .jpg
Photo-a-week goals addressed: #1 (b+w), #11 (architecture), #15 (nostalgia)

No comments: