Wednesday, January 3, 2007

fractured limb...



January, week one:
Here's my first entry into my photo-a-week blog for 2k7. the thought of a photo-a-day seemed like an overwhelming commitment, however i think this weekly project will be a lot of fun. i can't wait to see what people come up with! This picture is an experiment in black and white. My early experience with photography was almost entirely black and white, however I haven't had much success with b+w in digital. Improving upon that is one of my photographic goals for 2k7.

Yesterday I went driving along the blue ridge parkway, just south of Shenandoah National Park. About a month ago there was a big windstorm that knocked down a lot of trees, and you can still see tons of branches everywhere. I like the way this one turned out, as the focus was great and i think it translated well into black and white. I had originally considered entering this into the DPC "Centered Composition" challenge.

I liked the title "fractured limb" because as a radiologist I usually see pictures of fractured limbs of a different sort.

Image details:
Date and location: 1/2/7 at 10:53 AM EST, Blue Ridge parkway
Equipment: Canon 30D, 17-85mm IS lens, Hoya SMC UV filter
Settings: 85mm, handheld with IS, ISO 100, f/8.0, 1/200 sec, shot in raw
Processing: crop in lightroom beta v4.1, b+w in PS7 (channel mixer)
Photo-a-week goals addressed: #1 (b+w)

11 comments:

Obsidian said...

I like this shot a lot, especially the tonality from using B&W. Good use of DoF, too.

Alain said...

I love B&W, this is a great start for your PAW project. I'll come back often to check your work.

All the best.

J said...

I like the shot but if you hadn't told me what it was, it would have taken me a while to figure it out :)

I love taking B&W digital photos so I am right there with you!

Might I suggest a bit of a zoom (closer to the break) on this one? You would get more "splinters" without the other limbs in the background and the strange pixel effect that comes from dig B&W might be softened a bit.

I would like to see it both ways I suppose in order to get a better idea of why you went with this shot... Kudos though! It is nice and clear and it made me look twice! :)

Jeff said...

I enjoyed your first effort at B&W. The branches are very clear with a crisp focus. (When I first saw the image on your site, in the small format, I thought it could use a little sharpening. However, when I clicked open the large format image I was pleased with the detail you captured. It just goes to show how important it is to look at images in the full screen.) I look forward to following your B&W work this year.

Unknown said...

This is an image that grows on you. Its not something I would have taken. but shows how we see things differently. The 2 things I like most about the shot is the contrast the break has against the rest of the image and the clarity of focus.
I probably would have gotten closer and showed the texture of the break or backed off and shown the fallen tree with the break at the 1/3rd point, from a lower perspective.

Mike Holley said...

Good textures and tones. Great choice of B&W.

Kelly Steele said...

Good start for your paw. It reminds me of a spider web and works well as black and white.

Good luck on rest of the year!

John M. Setzler, Jr. said...

Nice work :)

I enjoy trips on the BRP in north carolina :) I'm also studying radiography. I thought it would be an interesting choice for a new career path for me.. It is sort of an advanced photography isn't it? :)

Erik said...

This really is a centered-centered composition. You might want to break it up a little.

Mr. Cross said...

I like the artisticness of this shot. If that is a word.

Unknown said...

This is a great start. I love the wood texture and the fracture.