Wednesday, January 31, 2007

dilapidated...



January, week four:
This image was taken only 13 minutes after my last entry, which was posted 13 days ago. I have been debating about how new an image has to be, and my goal will be to post weekly with a new image, however since the black and white conversion process can be its own creative effort, I may occasionally deviate from this and perform conversions (during this week) on previous images that I have taken which I would like to see in black and white. The last two weeks have been fairly hectic, so I'm excited to be getting back to this!

This house immediately caught my eye when I was driving around. Unfortunately, it was a fairly gray day out, but that was also rather fitting for this house which seemed to be starving for attention. The detail in the full resolution original did a good job showing the chipping paint, especially after I played around with USM sharpening in photoshop. I used similar black and white conversion parameters as I have done recently (primarily blue channel... it's my way to focus on my favorite color in this mostly monochromatic-themed effort). The contrast in the final output is not exactly what I was hoping for, and I may revisit this house in the future to bring out the textures and detail that are calling out to be seen.

Image details:
Date and location: 1/14/7 at 13:34 EST, Waynesboro, Virginia
Equipment: Canon 30D, 17-85mm IS lens, Hoya SMC UV filter
Settings: 38mm, Handheld with IS, ISO 100, f/8.0, 1/125 sec, shot in raw
Processing: raw to tiff in lightroom beta v4.1, then to PS7, crop, USM (250%, 1.0, 0), then b+w (channel mixer 10,-10,100,0%), saved at 50% resolution (to preserve most of the detail without it being too big)
Photo-a-week goals addressed: #1 (b+w), #11 (architecture), #13 (junk)

3 comments:

Kelly Steele said...

Yea, I like the detail in the large version. B&W works well, too. Especially on a grey day. It just sort of fits the way the house looks.

Elaine said...

I think the b&w works well here, and there is nice detail in the larger version.
My goal is to have my PAW shot taken the week it is posted, but if I visit an area with several things of interest I may use the shots over a few weeks.

Unknown said...

Someone put great pride into building such a house so many years ago. Looking at it now, you wonder what kind of stories it could tell.
To much space around it. But interesting in B&W. I would have added a touch of sepia to enforce the old feel.