Sunday, February 18, 2007

bug eyed...



February, week three:
I'm visiting my brother in Augusta where my parents are coming to celebrate their 40th anniversary. My visit, and that of my other brother, was a surprise to my parents. While waiting for my parents to arrive, I spent some time playing with my niece and nephew. Here my nephew is excited to have his picture taken... he is only 8 months old, but this morning he climbed out of his crib on his own for the first time. Looks like my sister-in-law and brother will have their hands full keeping track of him. I have taken nearly 150 pictures in less than a day here, and will likely take many more as the weekend goes on.

I don't have a lot of experience taking pictures of people, in particular in black and white, so i like how this turned out. I wish I had a faster lens so I wouldn't have to use a flash. The conversion on this was fairly straight forward, and I'm excited about how powerful Aperture is. I have about 12 days left in my trial, and will likely be purchasing the full version at that time.

Image details:
Date and location: 2/17/7 at 19:23 EST, my brother's house, Augusta, GA
Equipment: Canon 30D, 17-85mm IS lens, Hoya SMC UV filter
Settings: 22mm, handheld with IS, flash, ISO 100, f/4.0, 1/60 sec, shot in raw
Processing: raw conversion in Aperture v1.5.2, monochrome mixer (0, 100, 0), sharpen 1.0, brightness 0.25, contrast 0.10, to photoshop, resize to 768 pixels, border + text, save as .jpg
Photo-a-week goals addressed: #1 (b+w), #2 (portraits), #3 (vertical orientation)

5 comments:

Terra Photography said...

This is a great candid photograph - I love your nephew's expression! I think taking it at his level (rather than from a higher viewpoint) made for a strong composition.

Kelly Steele said...

Hehe, any shot that puts a smile on my face gets a thumbs up from me and this on does just that. :)

Unknown said...

What a cutie! His expression is priceless!

puzzled p said...

He's got the world's cutest expression! I love those eyes. Annie's so right about taking the picture at his level (something I would probably forget to do ) - cool that you thought of this. This one really gave me a smile. I like it in b&w.

Jeff said...

Excellent capture! What an expression of delight. Love it.